Predictably, the occupation camp in Zucotti Park near Wall Street, the epicenter of the movement that is trying to peacefully overthrow the corporate kleptocracy and to achieve a more equitable distribution of the fruits of free-market capitalism and to make the Big Shift toward a more empathetic civilization that will be more sensitive to the natural world which is being destroyed by unregulated greed, has been forcibly evicted by the NYPD. Similar initiatives to break up this embarrassing movement are underway in Berkley, Salt Lake City, Calgary, and Toronto. But its underlying raison d’etre is not going to go away. More than a thousand cities in North America are occupied by this spontaneous demonstration against the terrible way things are. I myself have my little cadre of Tidebuckas, a movement I started in February of last year when the hope of real change that swept Obama into office had been shut down by the Republican dirty tricksters (see the call to action and listen to the rant by clicking on Tidebuckas on the title page of this site). Apparently a bunch of occupiers appeared at one of Barbara Backman’s campaign stops and made it impossible for her to unleash her venom against the EPA, universal health care, global warmism, etc., and another group invaded an exclusive golf course and disrupted the rounds of its fat-cat members. This thing is not going away. The changes that the Sixties were only partially able to accomplish are still waiting to be made, and the need to make them is more desperate than ever.
While the occupy movement is still leaderless, staunchly anarchic and acephalous lest some ruthless Lenin type ride it to power, it does have a manifesto, which my sister emailed me the other day. It may be a good idea to take a look at it, for those who are still wondering what this movement is all about :
Declaration of the Occupation of New York City
This document was accepted by the NYC General Assembly on September 29, 2011
- They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage.
- They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give Executives exorbitant bonuses.
- They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in the workplace based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity and sexual orientation.
- They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.
- They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel treatment of countless animals, and actively hide these practices.
- They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions.
- They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right.
- They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay.
- They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.
- They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance.
- They have sold our privacy as a commodity.
- They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press.
- They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit.
- They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce.
- They have donated large sums of money to politicians, who are responsible for regulating them.
- They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.
- They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save people’s lives or provide relief in order to protect investments that have already turned a substantial profit.
- They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit.
- They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media.
- They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt.
- They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad.
- They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas.
- They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts.*